How to add your photo to the e-card
The e-card is your personal key to Austria's healthcare system. Since 1/1/2020, new e-cards are only being issued with a photo due to legislative changes.
Verify with the Foto-Sofort-Check if a photo is available for your e-card: Foto-Sofort-Check
Do you have
- an Austrian passport or
- an Austrian identity card or
- an Austrian driving licence in a credit-card format or
- Aufenthaltstitel / Rot-Weiß-Rot-Karte (temporary residence permit), Fremdenpass (alien’s passport), Konventionsreisepass (convention travel passport) or Identitätskarte für Fremde (identification card for aliens), Duldungskarte (toleration card), Verfahrenskarte (procedure card - a green card), Aufenthaltsberechtigungskarte (residence permit card - a white card), Karte für Asylberechtigte (card for persons entitled to asylum) or Karte für subsidiär Schutzberechtigte (card for persons entitled to subsidiary protection - grey card)?
There is no action required on your part. We will send your new photo e-card on time before the old one expires, at the end of 2023 at the latest.
Children below the age of 14 will continue to receive an e-card without a photo, regardless of whether a photo is available from a document such as a passport.
Do you have none of these documents? Then please check the expiration date on the blue back of your e-card.
Submit a passport photo to the office that is responsible for you 3 to 4 months before your e-card expires.
The photo must meet the passport photo requirements. More information on these requirements can be found here: passport photo requirements
You must submit the photo in person and bring your e-card or Austrian social insurance number.
As an Austrian citizen you have to show your ID and proof of citizenship (original documents). If you do not have an identity card, another person must accompany you to confirm your identity. Please note: This person will have to show an identity card!
As a non-Austrian citizen you have to bring your travel document (e.g. passport or ID).
A list of all registration offices can be found here.
If your e-card has an ***** instead of an expiration date, you will be prompted on time to submit a photo. There is no action required on your part until then.
If you are 70 years of age or older or if you qualify for care level 4, 5, 6 or 7, you are not required to submit a photo. No action is required on your part and you will automatically receive your new e-card before the old one expires.
- If we already have a photo from your passport, identity card, driving licence in a credit-card format, or the register of foreign nationals, it will be automatically transferred to the e-card.
- If no photo is available, an e-card will be issued without a photo.
- 2020, persons 70 years of age or older or qualified for care level 4, 5, 6 or 7 may voluntarily submit a photo for the e-card to the competent registration office. You will receive the new e-card before the old one expires.