1. Do I have to do something?
Usually your new photo e-card is sent automatically shortly before the expiration date of the European Heatlh Insurance Card on the back side of your e-card is reached.
There is no action required on your part, if at this time
- there is a photo of you available (from an Austrian passport, an Austrian identity card, an Austrian driving licence in a credit-card format or the register of foreign nationals)
- or a legal exception applies to you.
If you are 70 years of age or older or if you qualify for care level 4, 5, 6 or 7, you are not required to submit a photo. No action is required on your part and you will automatically receive your new e-card before the old one expires.
- If we already have a photo from your passport, identity card, driving licence in a credit-card format, or the register of foreign nationals it will be automatically transferred to the e-card.
- If no photo is available an e-card will be issued without a photo.
Persons 70 years of age or older or qualified for care level 4, 5, 6 or 7 may voluntarily submit a photo for the e-card to the competent registration office. You will receive the new e-card before the old one expires.
If no photo is available and no exception applies it is not possible to issue a new e-card!
Therefore if you
- don´t have an Austrian passport, an Austrian identity card, an Austrian driving licence in a credit-card format or a document of the register of foreign nationals
- are older than 14 and younger than 70 years of age
- and do not qualify for care level 4, 5, 6 or 7
you have to submit a photo.
Using the Foto-Sofort-Check you can easily verify if a photo of you is available at the moment.
If there is a photo of you available from a document it has to be used for the new e-card according to a legal order.
2. When should I submit a photo?
If no photo of you is available (see 1.):
Submit a passport photo to the office that is responsible for you 3 to 4 months before your e-card expires.
A list of all registration offices can be found here.
This way your new e-card with a photo can be issued before the old one expires.
The submission of a photo does not trigger an earlier issuing of your new e-card!
If you have to submit a photo you do not receive a letter from your social insurance institution.
If it is not possible to issue a new e-card because of a missing photo you will be informed that you have to bring a photo the next time you visit a doctor or you get in contact with your insurance institution.
3. What do I have to bring along?
You have to come in person to the registration office which is responsible for you and bring:
- a photo according to the passport photo requirements
- your current e-card or your Austrian social insurance number
- As an Austrian citizen you have to show your ID and proof of citizenship (original documents).
- As a non-Austrian citizen you have to bring your travel document (e.g. passport or ID).
4. What happens if I don´t bring a photo?
If no photo of you is available and you miss the expiration date your e-card remains valid within Austria.
The next time you visit a doctor or you get in contact with your social insurance institution you will be informed that you have to submit a photo.
From the first request by the social insurance institution or your doctor a transition period of 90 days - regulated by law - starts to run. Due to COVID-19 this transition period has been extended to 150 days until further notice. During this transition period medical treatment in Austria is possible with your old e-card or social security number and ID.
If you do not provide a photo within the transition period your old e-card will be blocked.
You can get a temporary electronic e-card replacement voucher from your social insurance institution.